Monday, December 5, 2011

Quiz #28: Typeface ID

OK, photo book junkies. Here's your quiz. Can a photo book be identified without photos, using only typeface? We'll find out.

Below are twenty samples of typeface used in titles on photography book covers. The samples use generic letters but several clues remain. Color, texture, and spacing are generally the same as the original titles (with some compression to fit into a small graphic). In addition, word length and sequence are the same. For example the first graphic, "POCCAECAT CUPIDA" represents a title with two words of 9 and 6 letters. Although I've matched typeface to the best of my knowledge, in two cases (#2 and #5) I couldn't find an exact match and used one that was virtually identical.

The Americans, printed in 1959, 1978, 1998, 2008
Four editions, four typefaces...

These are all titles of well known books which should be recognizable to casual photo buffs. If a book was printed in multiple editions with varying typefaces (a pet peeve of mine), I generally used the first edition.

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21. (Extra Credit) Identify the famous photography book whose title is hand-drawn in the style of a 16th Century typeface.




There are 100 points possible: 2 points for each book identified, 1 point for each typeface identified, and 10 points for the extra credit.

Email answers to me by next Thursday, December 15th (5 PM PST). The first person to submit the highest point total wins a a deck of B-Sides and a print of your choice from any of my online images.


(Special thanks to Lisa Gidley for quiz inspiration and research)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... I think I got #13 (and that one's easy), so I guess I don't qualify for buff status :) love the idea for the quiz though!